Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Aliens and Universal Health Care

I sat down last night to watch the pilot for the remake of the 80's sci-fi show "V". I remember watching it as a middle-school and early high-school kid, so I was curious to see what they could do with modern effects and (hopefully) better writing.

But it wasn't the aliens and special effects (of which there were few) that immediately struck me as I was watching. It was the political allegory. A charming race of aliens appear suddenly and usher in a new era on Earth. They are good looking, eloquent in staged speeches, don't take unvetted questions, and use phrases like "hope" and "change". We know nothing about them, yet most of the country is taken in by the rhetoric.

Sound familiar?

Heck, at one point, during a staged interview, the aliens even offer to provide "universal health care". And yes, they used that exact phrase.

Imagine my surprise when I woke up and saw THIS ARTICLE linked from Instapundit. It seems I wasn't the only one to find the parallelism more than a bit creepy. Of course, it's likely all just something of a coincidence. The show was probably written, produced, and scheduled for airing before the current White House was in place. Or maybe the script was reworked a bit. Maybe.

No comments: