Monday, December 8, 2008

Proposition 8 Backlash

I'm a straight, white man in my mid-30's and I'm a supporter of gay marriage. Or rather, it's always been my stance that the government shouldn't have anything to do with marriage. I don't care who you marry, and nor should the bureaucrats and politicians in an office at a shiny white capitol building.

Having said that, the response by a certain element of the gay community to the passing of Prop 8, has been - shall we say - disappointing. Look, I get that you're angry. I get that it's discrimination. I supported and voted for your cause. But fighting a war against religion IS NOT GOING TO HELP YOU!

The gay community needs to continue this struggle, but they need to do it in a way that makes main-stream Americans sympathetic to their cause. Like it or not, most Americans have some religious convictions of some type. Attacking religion is a loosing strategy. You're providing political ammunition to the pro-Prop 8 people who claim your ideas are dangerous to society. It's a foolish claim, but why HELP their arguments by behaving badly?

And why the focus on Mormons? Why not Mosques and inner city black churches? The religious black community contributed FAR more votes in favor of Prop 8 than the Mormons.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Why focus on the Mormons?" Probably because the Mormons were instrumental in funding and publicizing Prop 8. That said, I do agree with your point that, purely in terms of voting, other groups had a larger impact.

...and I agree with your point that the recent behavior of some in the gay community has been fueling the fire for future Prop 8-type supporters. I imagine that it's hard to keep one's anger and frustration in check in the face of such blatant discrimination, but the gay community needs to try to remember that other groups have made advances in civil rights without violence.