Saturday, November 8, 2008

I Once Got Beat in a Marathon by a Running Banana


This Flickr page reminded me of a funny story.

I ran my first marathon in 1998. It was the LA Marathon, and it was hell. Actually, the first 18 miles were fine. After that, got ugly rather quickly.

True story:

I was cruising along on the route at about mile 16 or so. Everything was feeling fine. No major pains. I was keeping the pace I'd trained for... or at least within a reasonable margin.

Then it happened. The ultimate marathon demoralizer.

I was somewhere along Hollywood Blvd. Suddenly I was passed by a guy (girl?) wearing a giant foam banana suit. Actually, I wasn't just passed - I was totally blown away. The banana was running (do bananas really run, or was I just hallucinating?) at least 2-3 minutes per mile faster than me. For you non-runners, that's FAST.

He/She/It turned a corner and I never saw it again. I can only dream that it was later hunted down by the two dudes in gorilla suits (who I beat), peeled open slowly, and eaten alive.

(photo to the right is NOT my nemesis, it's taken from the flickr site)

No comments: