Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Thoughts On Gay Marriage


Because Proposition 8 is front and center for this election cycle, I've been reading a fair amount of commentary on the issue of gay marriage. Being something of a libertarian, I've never been able to figure out what gives government the right to decide who gets married and who doesn't. In essence, I don't care if you are gay, straight, crooked, or something in between. If you want to marry someone (or something) else, go for it.

What's also interesting to me are the arguments against gay marriage. THIS article points out one of the more bizarre arguments to oppose gay marriage. I just don't see how two guys living in Hillcrest, who choose to marry, has any effect whatsoever on the strength or weakness of my own relationship. Can someone explain is to me? Honestly, I just don't get it.

Also of note is rather convoluted argument seen in the first comment on that page.

First the commenter says this:

I object because I do not feel that the government has a place in
defining, limiting, prohibiting, promoting or regulating marriage at
all, one way or another. It is a spiritual, personal matter, between a
man and a woman, and their God, if they have one.

Of course, this is the exact same argument I use to say it's OK for gays to marry. This woman is using this point to argue against gay marriage. So that's a little odd.

Then she says this:

Civil unions, for those financial and legal matters, is a separate
matter. That is the purview of the state, and should be a separate
concern from marriage. As far as that goes, I don't care who makes up
this civil union, all that should be required is a commitment to share
the financial responsibilities of a household.

Civil Unions vs. Marriage. It's a distinction without a difference.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Out of curiosity, how are you voting on Prop 2? As a Libertarian, I imagine you against the government interfering the agriculture industry, but as a doctor I imagine you must see the health concerns of our current agriculture practices. I recently went to a seminar hosted by an MD doing Avian Flu and agriculture research. It turns the risk for Salmonella is more than ten-fold with our current chicken caging practices, and that several diseases are related to bad agriculture practices--AIDS (bad Bush meat practices), Bovine spongiform encephalopathy, etc.